While everyone's body will react differently, and you should always follow your doctor's instructions first and foremore... here are some general skincare guidelines for people undergoing cancer treatment. We have also create several videos that you may find useful.
- Use only lukewarm water and mild soap when you wash.
- Avoid extremes of heat or cold, including hot baths or showers.
- Avoid hygiene products with alcohol.
- Do not rub your skin, be gentle & pat it dry after a shower.
- Do not wear tight clothing near the treatment area.
- Avoid using perfumes.
- Speak with your doctor to be sure that the ingredients in your current skincare will not cause further irritation.
- Ask your spouse or caregiver to apply lotions on hard-to-reach areas.
- Drink plenty of fluids—at least 2 to 3 quarts of liquid a day. Be sure to consult your doctor first about how much to drink.
- Apply water-based creams after your shower while your skin is still damp.
- If your nails become brittle, wear gloves when you wash dishes or do daily chores.
Content Produced by Oncology Nursing News in coordination with Lindi Skin.